Bill's Blog

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Corn Festival

This past weekend, the family loaded up and traveled out to visit my parents in central PA. It was a good trip and we had a lot of fun. On Saturday, Kris' parents came out and we all headed to Shippensburg for the annual Corn Festival there. The festival, in its 25th year, transforms Main Street "into a huge street fair for the day". We had a great time checking out the vendor booths, snacking on great food (especially the corn!), and enjoying some live entertainment.

The kids liked the entertainment. There was a walking scarecrow roaming the fair who had plenty of 'corn'y sayings he repeated as he mingled with onlookers. There was also a banjo player roaming. He noticed the kids and got down on one knee and strummed out a little tune. David was mesmerized by how fast his fingers were moving. There was other entertainment, including a band, a country line dance area, and a few singers.

Kris' parents met at Shippensburg University, so going back to 'Ship' was an eye-opener. They kept pointing at buildings and saying, "that didn't used to be there" or "didn't that bank used to be a theatre". It was fun just listening to them reminisce about their college town.

The weather held up just long enough and it only drizzled for the last half-hour we were there. This is remarkable improvement over the weather the last time we were there. There was heavy downpour that year and we spent a good twenty minutes huddled in one of the vendor booths while standing in 5 inches of rushing water. The rain also helped to keep the temperature down. So, I guess we couldn't have asked for more.

I forgot my camera, so I didn't get any good pictures. I was thinking all day on Friday that I needed to remember to grab the camera, but no such luck. It wasn't till we were already at my parents that I remembered the camera left on my computer desk.

Tags: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home